Sunday, August 3, 2008

Iowa Trip - Spirit of Dubuque






The girls and I drove to Iowa with my parents and my youngest sister for about a week earlier in July. My sister, Shannon, works at Camp Courageous in Monticello which is a camp for physically and mentally challenged children and adults. I never knew until I visited just how amazing this camp really is. They have multi-million dollar facilities for their campers and staff, and the camp is funded almost entirely by donations. Dorms, indoor swimming complex, mini-golf, canoeing, horseback riding, farm animals and other pets, crafts, outdoor adventure activities, a dance hall, and lots of other fun things. Shannon is their Respite/Volunteer Director. We visited Dubuque and took a Mississippi River tour on the Spirit of Dubuque, which is an old river boat. The girls enjoyed going to the back of the boat and watching the rotating old-fashioned propellers. (I can't think of the correct term for those things.) The river was, of course, very muddy because of all the recent flooding. I'll post some photos, and then add a couple more posts to catch you all up on what's been going on with us.

No comments: