Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Terrifying Experience......

Today, my little Mallory was eating a chicken leg, which she loves to do, and she is not a delicate little eater. She rips into it like a burly man- she'll eat any part of it that hits her mouth. All of a sudden she starts coughing, so I look up at her and watch for her to stop coughing, but I see that she can't catch her breath and her eyes are watering. I stand up and run around the table as fast as my body has ever moved, I think, and stick my finger in her mouth to sweep it out. I was able to sweep out a big chunk of chicken from her mouth, but had to stick my finger further down her throat to get whatever was still choking her. I could feel what seemed to be a bone about an inch or so long, but I couldn't get it out. I knew it- and my finger - was hurting her, but I tried a few times to get it out and was feeling so helpless. I stopped and looked around me and said, "I can't get it out!" My mind was racing, trying to remember what to do next.....then she started crying. Oh, I have never been so relieved in my life to hear someone cry! I knew when I heard her cry that she must have swallowed whatever it was. I grabbed her and held her to me and started crying myself. It all happened so fast, but I don't think my heart settled for at least another 10-15 minutes, though she seemed fully recovered within the first 5 minutes. This was a first for me as a mother......very unpleasant. I do know, however, that she/we were blessed when she stopped choking....I was losing my cool and the Lord helped Mallory for me. Whew!


6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wow! That is so scary and I'm happy that you both are okay. I'm fortunate that we haven't had any choking issues in our family- a miracle considering my boys have a tendency to inhale food.

deana said...

That is the one thing about being a mother that i really hate. I hate being so scared when your child is hurt and you feel helpless. Kids can definately scared you to death. I am glad that she was alright.

Shannon said...

call me, i'll tell you how to do the kid heimlich...i have to help teach it every year, so i remember it. don't know if I'd remember in an emergency though. Scary. I almost choked on my dinner last night, too. Not fun.

Tricia said...

Wow. Nothing like an adrenaline rush in an emergency to remind us what we're grateful for! I'm so glad Bethany is ok...and you, too!

Bonna Keckley said...

Oh my gosh! That had to be so scarey! Glad all is well.

erin sheely said...

I was talking to my mom last night about my psychotic choking fear because Emma choked on a cracker when she was about 8 months old. It still scares me. I'm so glad it all turned out okay.