Thursday, March 12, 2009

Quick BBall update...

We got the go-ahead from the YMCA to start a program there next year for 5-8 year olds, and we're so excited! We get a chance to work with the community and teach kids about basketball, too. Brad will be the director and of course I'll be helping with advertising and scheduling and phone calls and basically - organizing his management of the program. :) He is capable, but I have more time on my hands for stuff like that. Brad's dad is going to help with refereeing and such, and he'll give us advice because he spent lots of time many years ago doing basketball camps and workshops at the Y - as well as lots of coaching in the Jerry West league. (9-12 year olds) So, along with all of this basketball excitement we will be joining the YMCA as members and that should mean that I get to work out....finally! They recently added child care which was non-existent at the gyms around here. I'm trying to believe in myself....that I WILL work out regularly and get healthier - and happier with myself as a result!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

You totally can do it, Mandy!

erin sheely said...

That's awesome! Good for you.

The Coles said...

We have a program like that here and they got the high school athletes to come and help. They get some service time, and the kids love working with the older kids. I don't know how you arrange it, but maybe it can help you.

Rachelle said...

Good work! It's so great to get the vote of confidence from the community. I'm sure you all will do a great job and it will be very rewarding!

Staceroo said...

The thing I've noticed about exercising (at least for me) is that exercising and looking my best cannot coexist. There is never enough time with little kids to get in a workout and a shower and get ANYTHING else done during the day before lunch/naps/whatever. So my advice is to realize that if you're going to be serious about working out x amount of days a week, just accept the fact right now that you will be going everywhere (grocery store, pick up kids from pre-school, Wal-mart, etc.) with your hair in a ponytail, gym clothes, and no make up. And you will take showers either in the middle of the afternoon during nap time, or after the kids are in bed.
Am I the only one who has this problem? It's probably because I am not a morning person and refuse to wake up at the crack of dawn to exercise. Oh la. If you find a solution, please let me know. You can do it, excercise mama!

Rebecca said...

You're such a go getter. Yay for you!! And because I'm lazy, instead of emailing you, yes most of the things we are collecting for the hpospital are for the family waiting room and/or for the childrens' playroom on the peds floor. I think games are fine. The ages are from infant til teen. And, those two pics on my blog are a little edited. You may look into seeing if you camera has a setting for vivid color maybe that would help your eyes pop. :)

Deon said...

Yay!!! That's awesome! I hope everything goes well with the Basketball. Also, with the working out you just have to make it a habit. I go to the gym every morning after I drop the kids off at school. I've now lost 25 lbs. I'm so much happier and healthier! Stacy is totally right... you can't work out and shower and have a spotless house and be wonder woman all the time. :) I've just come to terms with it and decided that this is important for me and everything else will have to work around it. Good luck!!! I'm so excited for you!

MANDY said...

Thanks everybody! I totally agree with you Stacy,and way to go Deon! You all inspire me!