Thursday, September 25, 2008

I think she's got her Mama's aggressiveness......


Some of you may not know that I'm the toughest, and yes -shortest, forward in Relief Society (Church Women's) basketball. Do you know why coaches put me in at forward when I'm less than 5'3" tall? Because I have no fear.....I box out those bigger ladies and get the rebounds. Okay, enough about me......heehee;) I recently witnessed my 5 1/2 yr old Bethany taking on an entire team of aggressive little 5 yr old boys in a soccer game. Okay, they only play 3 on 3, but her only teammates to show up were a little (most adorable) 4 yr old boy, Noah, and a tiny (very thoughtful) 5 yr old girl, Evelyn- who were both too intimidated to play any offense because both got hit by the ball early on in the game by these little "not-so-nice-but-because-of-coaching-and-parenting" team of all boys. The other team had 6 players and we only had the three, so we didn't get to substitute. Bethany would kick the ball all the way up the field and try to score without any help and actually scored their only goal of the game, and then she'd run back down and try to steal the ball from the boys who kicked not only her, but each other, and go up the field once again.....trying to score without her teammates. I don't fault the little sweeties...they were doing the best they could. Eventually, Bethany just gave up on offense and most of the game was played on one side of the field as she would stand in front of the goal and block nearly every ball they tried to kick into it. It was really something to see....this girly-girl besting the boys. I loved it. They didn't seem to mind either because they kept getting to try again as she would block each kick. Other parents even complimented her after the game. And, wouldn't you know it? I didn't even get the camcorder out to capture it. Just had to share.....proud Mommy and all. ( Don't miss my Mallory post below. :)

5 comments:

Staceroo said...

Go Bethany! That is like so awesome! She's got determination, isn't afraid to go for things (even alone), and she doesn't give up. Those are three qualities I would like all of my girls to have!

Melissa said...

I absolutely LOVE that picture of Bethany! I agree with Stacey, those are great qualities!!! She is definitely her mommy's girl. I don't know why but it reminds me of that story when you threw your engagement ring out the window b/c Brad had done something to upset you. :) You have that same determination and spirit. I love ya!

Shannon said...

You know she's your daughter and that's going to come back to bite you. :)
She's awesome. Can I have a soccer pic?

Deana said...

I just got on your blog today. You really updated well. I love everything. I am haveing the hardest time putting a new backgroud on my blog. Gregg could not even figure it out. Mallory has grown so much. Bethany looks the same except taller and still cuter than ever. How is school going for her? Your new house sounds wonderful. I love older homes.They have so much personality.It sounds like everything is going well.

Natalie said...

Way to take on the boys Bethany! Sounds like she and Maren could join the US womens team together...do they take 5 year olds?