Monday, September 15, 2008

Let's go back to August....




Well, I'm going to give you the breakdown of what's been going on with my life for the last month and a half, or so. Over the summer I mentioned that we were looking for houses and we decided on a house in our current city of Elkins. The house is great.....old, but great. I love the beautiful wood floors and windows that are original to the house, built in 1920-30?....I don't remember the exact year right now. It's been interesting trying to merge my decor from our NC house to this older house's oak and charm, but I am making progress. Anyway, we decided and we started planning. In the meantime, we were getting Bethany ready for kindergarten which included an added shot because the state changed their requirements for chicken pox vaccinations.....they have to have 2 to start school. Imagine all of the almost-kindergartners in the state who thought they were finished with shots for a while, and now we had to drag them in to get one more (just cruel!)....so I'll share the after-the-show photos in this post. Very dramatic experience, let me tell you! She started out just refusing to sit down because she was "not ready yet". Well, eventually I had to pull her onto my lap while Brad and I held her head back against me and pinned her arms while the nurse gave her the shot, as she was kicking and screaming the whole time. Mallory started crying and we got the heck out of dodge as soon as the band aid was in place. I took pictures later as she bragged to Grandma that "I was brave (long pause), but I did cry." We spent two weeks trying to get moved before our end-of-August vacation and the start of school. Let me tell you about this......the former owner of the house died in January or February and her only son is in very poor health so was unable to visit the house to remove items or help clear it out. His sons only took what they wanted and left the rest. Needless to say we had a huge job on our hands of boxing up, selling, and donating all of this almost 80 yr old woman's possessions including furniture, bedding, craft items, kitchen items, and closets full of things she held onto for years. Just picture this.....4 bedrooms with closets and shelves on the walls, an office with cabinets, shelves and drawers, 3 bathrooms with closets in each, as well as knickknacks and shelves and mirrors and pictures all over the walls. AND, we were wiping down everything because it needed cleaned and she was a smoker. Can you tell that we had quite a busy couple of weeks? After and during all of this, we were priming and painting the upstairs bedrooms and hallway so that we could get new carpet installed before moving in. Then I had about a day to pack up our apartment before we moved everything over to the new-to-us house. We were so incredibly blessed with help from friends at church and family members. Countless hours of service were given to my family. There is absolutely no way we could have been moved in before school started without these folks, and I don't think I could have maintained my sanity without them. People cleaned, painted, watched my kids and/or put them to bed while we worked, packed up, unpacked, yard-saled and more for us. My Heavenly Father definitely knows me and my limitations, so He sent angels to assist me. Well, we moved all of our stuff on Tuesday night, stayed at the in-laws for a few nights while we worked on stuff before vacation started on Friday. And, now I move on to my next post....

No comments: